Marriage Visitor Visa

If you are a national from outside of the European Economic Area (‘EEA’) wishing to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the United Kingdom (‘UK’), you can apply for a UK marriage visitor visa.

The purpose of a marriage visitor visa is to allow you to have your marriage or civil partnership ceremony in the UK, or to allow you to give notice for your proposed marriage or civil partnership.

As this visa falls under the umbrella of visitor visas, you must leave the UK at the end of your visit and cannot switch to another visa from within the UK.

How long can you remain in the UK on a marriage visitor visa?

The maximum period you can stay in the UK on marriage visitor visa is 6 months (similar to a standard visitor visa).

You will not be eligible to switch into another visa category or be eligible to apply for further leave to remain in the UK with a marriage visitor visa.  You will be required to leave the UK and return to your country of legal residency if you intend to apply for a different type of visa once your existing visa expires.

If your partner is settled in the UK (or a British Citizen) and your intention is to remain in the UK after your marriage, you should instead apply for a fiancé(e) visa.

What are the key requirements for a marriage visitor visa?

To apply for a UK marriage visitor visa, you must;

  • Be at least 18 years of age.
  • You must have pre-existing wedding plans in place, such as an appointment to give notice of your intention to marry at a local register’s office, or confirmation of a wedding venue.
  • Be free to give notice of your intention to marry or intention to enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival.
  • Be in a genuine and subsisting relationship with your fiancé(e).
  • Have an intention to visit the UK for no more than 6 months and also intend to leave prior to the end of the visa period.
  • Be able to financially maintain and accommodate yourself.
  • Be able to afford the cost of your return or onward journey.

What are the restrictions for a marriage visitor visa?

  • You cannot work or study.
  • You cannot live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits.
  • You cannot apply for public funds.
  • You cannot switch into another visa category.

How do you pass the ‘genuine visitor’ test?

  • You must prove you’re able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip.
  • You must prove you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit.
  • You need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK.
  • You should also demonstrate your ties to your home country, such as providing a copy of your lease agreement or home ownership document, employment or pension income, and other assets you may have.

 Our process

As part of our retainer service, we offer the following:

  1. Assess your suitability for a marriage visitor visa;
  2. Provide you with an advice on how to meet the maintenance requirement;
  3. Provide a comprehensive document checklist;
  4. Assess all supporting documentation;
  5. Complete any application as necessary on your behalf;
  6. Book your biometrics appointment; and
  7. Prepare a complete bundle to be sent to UK Visas and Immigration.

If you require further information in relation to a UK marriage visitor visa, please contact us.

*Please note that all immigration matters are dealt with by Muldoon Britton Immigration Limited (SRA Number: 829759).