Adult Dependent Relative Visa

Who is this route for?

The Adult Dependent Relative route is for a person aged 18 or over who is sponsored by a relative in the UK (who must be a British Citizen; settled in the UK; have protection status; or be a specified EEA national who has permission under the EU Settlement Scheme) and where the sponsor is able to maintain, accommodate, and care for the applicant without reliance on public funds.

You can only apply from outside the UK, unless you are applying to extend your stay on this route. An applicant applying for permission to stay must be in the UK on the date of application, and must have, or have last been granted, entry clearance or permission to stay as an Adult Dependent Relative.

What are the general eligibility requirements?

Applicants for Adult Dependant Relative visas must demonstrate that:

  • they are dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son, or daughter who is living in the UK;
  • they need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks (such as washing and cooking) because of illness, disability or age;
  • the care they need is not available or affordable in the country they live in; and
  • the person they will be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate, and care for them without claiming public funds for at least five years.

In order to be eligible, the candidate should find themselves in a predicament where the care they require is unattainable within their current residing nation, despite the financial and practical assistance offered by their kinfolk. The care required could encompass either residing in a nursing home or hiring a housekeeper.

Proof of the applicant’s familial tie will be required alongside substantial validation. Additionally, medical documentation or endorsement by a healthcare expert regarding the applicant’s well-being and necessities must also be furnished.

Applicants must present compelling proof as to why the care they need is not accessible in their country of origin, or alternatively, provide substantial evidence of their financial situation to justify the inability to afford the required care.

For more information on our legal services, please get in contact where we would love to discuss how we could help you in your application.

Book Now

How long can I stay in the UK?

An Adult Dependent Relative is granted indefinite leave to enter the UK if their sponsor is settled in the UK or is a British Citizen. In other cases, the Adult Dependent Relative is granted temporary permission which expires on the same date as their sponsor’s temporary permission, and once in the UK they can apply for indefinite leave to remain or further permission to stay in line with their sponsor’s permission.

Can dependants join me on this route?

Your spouse/partner may also apply for entry clearance as an Adult Dependent Relative if they are either the parent or grandparent of your sponsor, but they must apply at the same time you do.

Only one of you needs to require long-term personal care in the UK.

How much does it cost?

How much it costs depends on what permission your relative has.

  • If they have temporary ‘protection status’ (permission to stay as a refugee or with humanitarian protection) it costs:
    • £404 if you are applying from outside the UK
    • £1,048 if you are applying from inside the UK

Otherwise, it costs:

    • £3,250 if you are applying from outside the UK
    • £1,048 if you are applying from inside the UK
  • Immigration Health Surcharge (only payable for those who do not qualify for indefinite leave to enter the UK) – £1,035.00 per annum for applicants 18 years of age and over

How long does it take?

You can only apply for initial entry clearance from your country of residency, and standard processing time is 24-weeks as at today’s date for this route. You may be able to pay an additional fee for the priority service, and will be given more details on this and/when you submit the application.

If you are applying from within the UK, standard processing time is 8-weeks where all of the requirements are met.

When should I apply?

The earliest date that you can submit the application, is 6-months before you intend to travel to the UK. Entry clearance will take effect from a date chosen by UK Visas & Immigration, who will take into account your preferred date of entry as specified on the application form.

If you require assistance with applying for a family settlement visa, please contact us for a quote.


Family Visa Services

Spouse/Partner Visa

Spouse Partners Visas offer a comprehensive service for married couples looking to apply for visas to the UK.

Adult Dependent Relative Visa

The Adult Dependent Relative Visa is a visa option designed for those who wish to join their close relatives in the UK

Parent Visa

A Parent Visa is an essential product for anyone with a parent who wants to reside in the same country as their child.

Dependent Child Visa

The Dependent Child Visa is an immigration visa that allows eligible children to join and accompany another family member residing in a country.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and Litigation law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps toward obtaining your goals. Get in touch today.