Service Supplier Visa

Who is this route for?

This route is for workers who are undertaking temporary work assignments in the UK, where the worker is either a contractual service supplier employed by an overseas service provider, or a self-employed independent professional based overseas, and they need to undertake an assignment

What are the general eligibility requirements?

  • be an employee of an overseas business, or a self-employed service provider based overseas
  • be providing a service to a UK business under a contract that is covered by a valid international trade agreement
  • be doing an eligible job – if your job is not eligible you may still qualify if you have relevant qualifications and experience
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your UK sponsor with information about the work you’ll be doing in the UK
  • have worked for your employer for at least 12 months outside the UK, or have at least 12 months’ professional experience if you’re a self-employed service provider

The specific eligibility depends on your job.

How long you can stay for?

How long you can stay in the UK depends on the type of trade agreement you’re providing services under.

You can stay for whichever is the shorter of:

  • 6 months or 12 months – this depends on the trade agreement you’re providing services under
  • the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days

The maximum you can stay on a Service Supplier visa is 6 or 12 months depending on the type of trade agreement you’re providing services under.

If you’ve spent time in the UK on a Service Supplier visa or another visa before:

You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 5 years in any 6 year period if you’ve spent time on any of these visas:

  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa
  • Intra-company Transfer visa
  • Graduate Trainee visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Secondment Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)

For more information on our legal services, please get in contact so that we may provide you with a quote for the same.

Learn More

If your job is not eligible

If you do not have an eligible occupation code, you may still be able to apply for a Service Supplier visa if you have relevant qualifications and experience.

You will normally need one of the following qualifications:

  • a bachelor’s degree or higher in any subject
  • a technical qualification that’s equivalent to a bachelor’s degree

You’ll also need:

  • 3 years’ professional experience relevant to the service you provide if you’re an overseas employee
  • 6 years’ professional experience if you’re self-employed

Some services have different experience and qualifications requirements:

Services Qualifications and experience
Advertising or translation Relevant qualifications
Chef de cuisine Advanced technical qualification and 6 years experience
Entertainment services (excluding audio-visual services under the CARIFORUM-UK Economic Partnership Agreement) No qualifications required
Fashion and modelling No qualifications required
Management consulting services Bachelor’s degree
Technical testing and analysis Bachelor’s degree or relevant technical qualification

If you’re not providing services in one of these areas, you might still be eligible if you have at least a bachelor’s degree (in any subject) or equivalent technical qualifications.

Can dependants join me in the UK on this route?

Your partner and children can also apply to join you or stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’ if they’re eligible.

If your partner or child’s application is successful, their visa will usually end on the same date as yours. If a child’s parents have visas with different expiry dates, the child’s visa will end on the earlier date.

If you extend or switch your visa, your partner or child’s current visa will still be valid until its original end date. Your partner or child need to apply to extend or switch their visa, either:

  • at the same time as you
  • at any time before their current visa expires

This includes children who have turned 18 during your stay.

Your partner or children cannot apply to switch to your visa as your dependants if they are currently in the UK:

If your partner or child is currently in the UK on a Student visa, they can only switch if they have either:

  • completed the course they were sponsored to study
  • studied for a PhD for at least 24 months


When you apply for a Service Supplier visa, you’ll need to have enough money to:

  • pay the £298 application fee
  • pay the immigration healthcare surcharge – this is currently set at £1,035.00 per annum for applicants 18 years of age and over, and £776.00 per annum for children under the age of 18
  • support yourself when you arrive in the UK – you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 available (unless you’re exempt)

Money to support yourself:

You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself when you arrive in the UK.

You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 consecutive days. The end date of the 28 day period must be within 31 days of the date you apply.

You’ll usually need to show proof of this when you apply, unless either:

  • you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for 12 months or more
  • your sponsor can cover your costs during your first month in the UK, up to £1,270.

If you require assistance with applying for the Service Supplier visa, please contact us for a quote.

UK Expansion Worker Visa

This Visa facilitates the immigration of workers from non-EU countries to the UK for the purpose of expanding business and creating job opportunities.

Specialist Worker Visa

The Specialist Worker Visa is a gateway into the United Kingdom for individuals looking to pursue their career abroad. This visa allows individuals to enter the UK to work in an occupation with a specific skill and knowledge set.

Service Supplier Visa

This Visa is an easy and convenient way to secure payments with suppliers.

Graduate Trainee Visa

The Graduate Trainee Visa is a special visa designed to help foreign students transition from academic studies into the professional world.

Secondment Worker Visa

The Secondment Worker Visa provides an opportunity for businesses or companies to temporarily hire qualified professionals from other countries.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and Litigation law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps toward obtaining your goals. Get in touch today.