Senior or Specialist Worker Visa

Who is this route for?

The Senior or Specialist Worker route allows professionals to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job at their employer’s UK Branch.

This visa, formerly referred to as the Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Long-term Staff visa, has replaced the Intra-Company Transfer visa.

What are the general eligibility requirements?

  • be an existing employee of an organisation that’s been approved by the Home Office as a sponsor
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the work you will do in the UK
  • do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
  • be paid at least £48,500 per year

How long can I stay in the UK for?

You can stay in the UK with a Senior or Specialist Worker visa for whichever is shorter of:

  • the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days
  • 5 years

You can apply to extend your visa or apply for another one as many times as you like up to the maximum total stay.

The maximum total stay allowed for a Senior and Specialist Worker visa is:

  • 5 years in any 6 year period if you’re paid less than £73,900 a year
  • 9 years in any 10 year period if you’re paid £73,900 a year or more

Any time you spend in the UK on one of the following visas will be included in your maximum total stay:

  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa
  • Intra-company Transfer visa
  • Graduate Trainee visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Secondment Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)

For more information on our legal services, please get in contact so that we can provide you with a quote for the same.

Learn More

Can dependants join me on this route?

Your partner and children can also apply to join you or stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’ if they’re eligible.

If your partner or child’s application is successful, their visa will usually end on the same date as yours. If a child’s parents have visas with different expiry dates, the child’s visa will end on the earlier date.

If you extend or switch your visa, your partner or child’s current visa will still be valid until its original end date. Your partner or child need to apply to extend or switch their visa, either:

  • at the same time as you
  • at any time before their current visa expires

This includes children who have turned 18 during your stay.

Your partner or children cannot apply to switch to your visa as your dependants if they are currently in the UK:

If your partner or child is currently in the UK on a Student visa, they can only switch if they have either:

  • completed the course they were sponsored to study
  • studied for a PhD for at least 24 months

How much does it cost?

If you’re applying from outside the UK, the fee depends on whether you’ll be in the UK for:

  • up to 3 years – £719 per person
  • more than 3 years – £1,420 per person

If you’re applying from inside the UK to extend, switch or update your visa, the fee depends on whether you’ll be in the UK for:

  • up to 3 years – £827 per person
  • more than 3 years – £1,636 per person

You will also have to pay the immigration health surcharge of £1,035.00 per annum for adults, and £776.00 per annum for children under 18 years of age.

How long does it take?

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within:

  • 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK
  • 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK

If you need to go to an appointment, you may be able to pay for a faster decision. How you do this depends on whether you’re outside the UK or inside the UK.

When should I apply?

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity and provide your documents.

You may need to allow extra time if you need an appointment to do this. You’ll find out if you need one when you start your application.

What you can and cannot do:

With a Senior or Specialist Worker visa you can:

  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • study
  • bring your partner and children with you as your ‘dependants’, if they’re eligible
  • do voluntary work
  • travel abroad and return to the UK

You cannot:

  • apply for most benefits, public funds, or the State Pension
  • change jobs unless you are eligible and you update your visa
  • have a second job – unless you’ve previously had an Intra-company Transfer visa or a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Long term Staff visa
  • apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’)

If you require assistance with applying for the Senior or Specialist Worker Visa, please contact us for a quote.

UK Expansion Worker Visa

The multi-tiered Visa mentioned here offers a streamlined pathway for non-European Union (EU) individuals seeking to migrate to the United Kingdom with the objective of fostering business growth and generating employment prospects.

Specialist Worker Visa

The Specialist Worker Visa serves as an avenue for individuals aspiring to advance their professional endeavors beyond national boundaries, granting them entry into the United Kingdom. This visa enables individuals to seize employment opportunities in the UK, capitalizing on their specialized skill set and extensive knowledge in a particular field or occupation.

Service Supplier Visa

The utilization of this Visa card as a means to ensure prompt and hassle-free financial transactions with suppliers is both straightforward and efficient.

Graduate Trainee Visa

The Graduate Trainee Visa stands as an exclusive visa scheme aimed at facilitating the smooth transition of international students from academic pursuits to the realm of professional opportunities.

Secondment Worker Visa

The Secondment Worker Visa offers businesses and organizations the chance to engage with skilled professionals from foreign nations on a temporary basis. This visa arrangement facilitates the hiring of qualified individuals, allowing companies to tap into global talent pools to meet their specific needs within a set timeframe.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and Litigation law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps toward obtaining your goals. Get in touch today.